I hope everyone has been surviving this HOT summer weather, it’s been about 100 degrees every day this week! But hey, I will take the heat over the snow and cold any day.
Today was really exciting because one of my best friends, Hannah, finally came back in town from being in California all summer. Hannah and I have such a special bond, she’s such a sweetheart! Ever since I became vegan we have made it a tradition to have “vegan nights” where we cook delicious vegan recipes at my house (we call her the “honorary vegan”). Anyways, we decided to make a recipe I have been loving by Angela from ohsheglows called spicy rainbow rice. It is absolutely delightful-loaded with flavor and very hearty!
Spicy Rainbow Rice and Bean Salad (by ohsheglows)– Makes about 6 cups
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (I used Success 10 minute rice)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion (I used vidalia)
- 1/2 tsp each of ground cumin, coriander, and oregano
- 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes (the recipe calls for 1/2 tsp but 1/4 is spicy enough for me)
- 1/2-1 minced garlic clove
- 1 can drained and rinsed black beans (I used low sodium)
- 3 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 medium-sized carrots (cut into chunks or grated)
- 1 cup frozen corn (this time I used fresh squash instead of corn)
- 1 tsp Earth Balance spread (I prefer the whipped variety)
1. Cook the rice according to package directions while cooking veggies or beforehand. Drain and rinse a can of black beans using a colander. Cut up all veggies before starting to prepare to make it easier on yourself.
2. Over low-medium heat pour in olive oil and onion and cook for a few minutes until browned (not burnt). Then add the minced garlic and spices. Be sure not to burn the spices so adjust the temperature accordingly. Once the spices have bubbled slightly, add the black beans and tamari sauce and cook on medium heat for five minutes (stir occasionally to keep from burning).
3. Add the veggies and cook on low for 5 minutes. (Since I used fresh squash I covered the pan for a minute or two to let the squash soften but if only using frozen veggies don’t worry about this).
4. Now add in your brown rice and earth balance, stir and enjoy!
**I give all credit for this recipe to Angela over at ohsheglows. I highly recommend that you check out her site- She has the most amazing recipes and her blog is so well done, it has inspired me so much!
Here’s my delicious spicy rice bowl from earlier tonight:
This was the perfect dish to eat after my kick-butt workout at the gym- I justlove fight club! You work hard for an hour but feel rejuvinated afterwards. It’s funny because before I went to the gym today my stomach was bothering me but once I got moving and had a great workout my stomach no longer hurt! Seems like working out cures everything for me 🙂
By the way, The spicy rice was accompanied by a fresh salad with fresh tomato and cucumber from Hannah’s grandparents’ garden! It was so great to catch up with Hannah, my roommate Lauryn also hung out and ate with us as well- we had a great time!
–I can’t bid farewell until I tell you about the most glorious cornbread muffins I have ever tasted in my life. For some reason yesterday after my workout (lots of abs and a few shoulder exercises) I felt inclined to make cornbread muffins from the Kind Diet! After mixing the batter and pouring into the muffin tin I was very worried they wouldn’t turn out good at all and it would be one of those recipe failures. Boy, was I wrong! I made half the batch the recipe called for (I made 6 muffins instead of 12), and needless to say they are all gone today…. I would have taken a picture but I ate them too quickly! I did snag a picture today of what I like to call “the lonely muffin”- poor muffin, I ate all his friends last night!
Just looking at this picture makes me miss it(I ate it with lunch today)…. I will include the recipe in a later post because I will sure be making these again soon (Cameron is dying to try them!). Bottom line- they were a great addition to a great night of Bachelorette! I just want to say that I adore Ashley and JP and I have all the confidence in the world in their relationship. They are so sweet together! Makes me miss Cameron… hopefully we will see each other soon!
Alrighty it’s time to face the reality which is that I have a physics final Friday and biology paper due by Thursday so… it’s time to say good night!