Goodbye Summer and Hello School!
First off I want to apologize for not posting in almost a month (has it been that long already??) The past month has been SO busy! I took 8 hours this summer (Physics 1 and Biology 2)- I ended up getting A’s in both thankfully! After taking my last final I was thrown right into preparing for my last rush at UGA (tear….). I will tell you rush is so stressful! Long hours at Phi Mu and meeting hundreds of girls (1500 came through) took a toll on me physically and mentally. Luckily I prepared by bringing snacks when I knew I’d be at the house for long hours at a time. Some of the snacks I brought were: Larabars (my favorite kind is Peanut Butter Cookie- about 210 calories and 7 grams protein), Fuji apples, bananas, and plenty of water. (They let us go home for lunch and dinner so don’t be deceived by the snack list!)
Vegan Snacks/Meals on the Go
The busy days got me thinking about meals and snacks I could take on the go without spending a lot of time prepping- with the school year now here I may have to do this quite often during days with a busy class schedule!
- Larabars (Any of the variety, preferrably high in protein)
- Fresh fruit- apples, bananas, nectarines
- Raw Nuts- I like raw cashews the best, I usually measure them out because it is easy to eat much more than the serving size due to the nutritional density
- Peanut butter and banana in a whole grain tortilla (could heat in toaster oven prior to leaving the house or eat unheated)- ideas: could add cinnamon or even granola inside the wrap for variation in flavor.
- Snack size hummus cup and baby carrots
- Leftovers from dinner the night before! Many times I will eat leftovers cold that were originally hot, makes for a different but still great taste.
- If you have a microwave you can use at work or school than some other options could be soup, oatmeal, or things such as a veggie burger on a sandwich thin.
To be honest, I am still trying to devise and explore new ideas for meals on the go- if you have any suggestions I would be so happy to hear them!
What I Cook When I Don’t Feel Like Cooking
We’ve all had those moments (days, weeks….) where we just don’t feel like cooking. Unfortunately, it’s easy to feel this way especially when your schedule gets busy, you get tired, and when you are just too darn hungry to spend hours prepping dinner! When I don’t feel like delving into my recipe books or the plethora of vegan blogs online I usually make something simple that sounds good to me. Many times it is a simple grain with a few tweaks- accompanied with fruit and/or veggies. Here are some examples of things that I make when I don’t feel like “cooking”:
- Hot oatmeal- I usually add in an overripe banana along with brown sugar or maple syrup to sweeten. Chia seeds make a great addition and add more nutrients to the oatmeal. I make my oatmeal with water but have also enjoyed it with unsweetened almond milk (gives it a creamier feel).
- Spelt pancakes- I make enough for one serving (I use 1/2 cup spelt flour) and usually add blueberries or vegan mini chocolate chips to the mix. Serve with about 1-2 tbsp pure maple syrup and some powdered sugar if desired.
- Easy 10 minute brown rice (boil-in-the-bag) with sauteed veggies (‘shrooms, kale, brocolli, frozen veggies-peas and corn).
- Whole Grain pasta with a little bit of Earth balance
- Peanut Butter on whole grain toast or wrap (with jelly or fruit-apple, banana
- Or if I am really feelin’ lazy, I will order take out from my favorite restaurant in Athens- The Grit! It’s a vegetarian restaurant that has such delicious menu items and the best vegan cake I’ve ever had!
What do you make when you don’t feel like cooking?
What I’ve Cooked Lately
Banana Bread (Peas and Thank You)
Brown Rice or Pasta with Veggies and Sauteed Tofu
Spelt Noodles with basil “cream” sauce
A Pancake breakfast, lunch or dinner
And last but not least- my FAVORITE cornbread! (Kind Diet Recipe)
I’m sorry I don’t have any recipes for y’all this post, I just felt so overwhelmed since I hadn’t posted in SO long! I promise I have more to come soon 🙂 I am hoping to make a lot of veggie based dishes and also some easy meals with short ingredient lists! Thanks for stopping by!!